The innovative medical technology known as ovarian rejuvenation therapy can help to wake up and coax a woman’s nonfunctioning ovaries into producing viable eggs so that she can get pregnant. If the procedure is successful, a woman can achieve a successful pregnancy naturally – or – through other fertility treatments such as IUI or IVF.
Are you a candidate for Ovarian Rejuvenation?
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy is typically recommended to women in an advanced maternal age – late 30s and over 40.
Other candidates who may benefit from the procedure include:
- Women who want to conceive with their own eggs in lieu of egg donation
- Women who want to restore their hormonal balance and sexual drive naturally
- Women having a low egg reserve as reflected by a low Anti Mullerian Hormone (AMH) level
- Women who have failed multiple IVF treatments due to poor quality embryos
- Women diagnosed with unexplained infertility
- Women diagnosed with primary ovarian failure
- Women diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure (POF)
- Women diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and suffering from infertility due to a low egg reserve
How is the Ovarian Rejuvenation procedure performed?
The procedure is performed by injecting a woman’s Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) into her ovaries while she is under anesthesia. The PRP injection punctures the ovaries, injects the PRP, and stimulates growth of egg follicles. The ovaries are infused with proteins rich in growth factors and stem cell chemoattractants.
- The patient’s ovaries are evaluated via a transvaginal sonogram to make sure they are accessible for procedure
- The patient’s blood is drawn to prepare her PRP
- It takes about 20 minutes to produce PRP by spinning the blood in a centrifuge
- The patient is prepared for procedure with the anesthesia Propofol via IV
- The patient’s ovaries are injected with PRP to rejuvenate dormant follicles so as to yield viable eggs
Is the Ovarian Rejuvenation procedure painful?
Major complications from the procedure – bleeding or infection – are very rare. Dr. Melnick’s patient have not experienced complications to date.
- The patient will be able to return home within 1 hour to 1½ after the procedure
- The pain a patient experiences is very similar to that of an IVF egg retrieval procedure
- Ovarian discomfort is likely be experienced and will be treated with pain medication
- Mild discomfort in the patient’s lower abdomen
- Pressure in the patient’s ovaries
- Spotting of blood
In 99 percent of cases, most pain and discomfort is relieved within one to two hours after the patient returns home.
Will I get my period back after the Ovarian Rejuvenation procedure?
Patients are monitored monthly for six months through blood tests to determine if the therapy was successful.
- Therapeutic effects last 5 to 7 months
- Periods will return to normal in 50 percent of cases
- Symptoms of menopause will lessen
- Increase in sexual drive
- Improved quality of eggs
In order to monitor if the procedure has regenerated the eggs in the patient’s ovaries, she will be monitored through the following testing.
- AntiMullerian hormone
- FSH level
- LH level
- Estradiol level
For objective evidence that ovarian rejuvenation is demonstrated, Dr. Melnick will look for:
- AMH level to rise
- FSH level to lower
- LH level to lower
- Estradiol level to lower
How soon after the Ovarian Rejuvenation procedure will I get pregnant?
The therapeutic effect of Ovarian Rejuvenation may take three to six months to be observed by the Doctor. Tissue transformation is not immediately obvious. Beneficial results will be noticed between 2 to 4 weeks.
If rejuvenation is observed, pregnancy may still not occur due to other infertility factors that could be interfering with natural conception.
- Patency of the Fallopian tubes will be confirmed through additional testing
- Male partner’s semen will be reevaluated through analysis and post-coital testing
In the event natural conception shows to be unlikely through additional testing, appropriate treatment will be recommended.
Is Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy guaranteed to work?
There can be no guarantee that pregnancy – or reduced menopausal symptoms – will occur after the procedure. This is because Ovarian Rejuvenation is an innovative therapy attempting to reverse natural menopause and positively enhance the quality of existing eggs remaining in the ovaries.
Dr. Melnick has successfully helped two women in their 40s achieve pregnancy. Both women had prior multiple failed IVF treatment cycles, yet they conceived between 8 and 20 weeks after their Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy.
Cost of Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
- $350 initial evaluation cost
- $4000 Ovarian Rejuvenation fee
- Ovarian Rejuvenation is not covered by insurance
$4000 Fee Includes:
- Operating room fees
- Anesthesia medication cost
- Anesthesiologist’s fee
- Nursing service fee
- Sonographic cost
- Physician services fee
- Laboratory cost to prepare Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
Platelet Rich Plasma therapy is used in other areas of medicine:
- Healing of athletic injuries
- Plastic surgery procedures
- Injection in vaginal area for women with low sex drive
Celebrated Fertility Doctor Providing Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
According to Dr. Melnick, Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy will not make a woman’s ovaries younger, but her remaining dormant egg follicles will be used to achieve the best chance of pregnancy success.
To schedule your Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy consultation with Dr. Melnick at Advanced Fertility Services – click the icon below – or call 212.369.8700.