A new diet and fertility study has examined the impact of diet on fertility. Positive dietary effects on fertility for women have been linked to the intake of:
- Folic acid
- Vitamin B12
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- Healthy diets – the DASH
The DASH Diet
The DASH Diet – Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension – has been ranked the Best Overall diet in a comparison study conducted by US News and World Report. The DASH Diet is supported by evidence-based fertility enhancement results. The DASH Diet also earned the Best Diet for Healthy Eating category in the comparison study conducted by US News and World Report. The DASH Diet was developed with the goal of lowering blood pressure.
A 12 week study of women on the DASH Diet by Kashan University of Medical Sciences resulted decreased anti-Mullerian hormone. The women studied were suffering from PCOS and high BMI – obesity. The findings of the study show that the DASH Diet improves metabolic profile, BMI in PCOS.
10-Steps for Improving Fertility Through Changes in Diet, Weight, Activity
The following 10 step approach offers a powerful boost in fertility for women with ovulation-related infertility.
- Avoid trans fats – no more fried foods
- Consume more unsaturated vegetable oils – use olive or canola oil and eat fish and avocados
- Get more protein from vegetables – eat lentils, not steak
- Eat slow carbs – choose whole grains, oatmeal and vegetables and cut out white bread and pasta
- Drink whole milk – consume full fat yogurt and ice cream in sensible portions
- Take your essential vitamin supplement – folic acid and vitamin B are essential
- Get plenty of iron – eat iron rich vegetables like spinach
- Drink plenty of water – avoid soda, caffeine, alcohol
- Be active and exercise regularly – but don’t overdo it
- Get your Body Mass Index into the fertility zone by achieving a score of 19 to 24
- Low-fat dairy
- Whole grains
DASH is rich in:
The DASH Diet emphasizes:
- Portion size
- Eating a variety of foods
- Getting the right amount of nutrients
The DASH Diet contains the same components of a regular low-calorie diet.
- 52% to 55% carbohydrates
- 16% to 18% protein
- 30% total fats
The DASH Diet is:
- Low in Saturated Fats
- Low in Cholesterol
- Low in Refined Grains
- Low in Sweets
Renowned Fertility Doctor
Dr. Hugh Melnick wants to help you to achieve your dream of having a baby through cutting-edge Assisted Reproduction Technology (ART). Your initial consultation with the Doctor can be conducted via telephone, Skype or FaceTime.
To schedule your consultation with Dr. Melnick at Advanced Fertility Services call 212.369.8700 – or – click the icon below.