A coronavirus – COVID-19 – outbreak began in China last December. It has since spread to other countries – including the United States. The CDC has posted travel health notices recommending that U.S. citizens not travel to China.
COVID-19 is a respiratory illness. Symptoms include fever, cough, shortness of breath, diarrhea, and body aches. These symptoms can accelerate to pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure, and eventual death. COVID-19 belongs to a family of viruses such as MERS and SARS.
Avoid close contact with anyone showing COVID-19 symptoms if you are trying to get pregnant.
- Wash your hands regularly
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Clean/disinfect frequently touched surfaces
If you think you may have contracted a coronavirus, contact your healthcare provider as soon as possible. The CDC offers testing guidance for COVID-19 – Click Here.
Coronavirus and Pregnancy
A new study conducted jointly by Northwestern University, Wuhan University and Peking University found that pregnant women diagnosed with the virus during their third trimester didn’t transmit the virus to their unborn children in the womb.
Proper care and isolation protocols must be adhered to during and after birth for women diagnosed with the novel coronavirus late in their pregnancy. If so, these women should be able to deliver healthy, virus-free babies.
More research is needed on pregnant women with COVID-19 in all stages of pregnancy. Scientists are continuing to collect data and will perform another study in the near future.
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy may restore a woman’s natural fertility by stimulating the production of dormant follicles into good quality eggs capable of being fertilized. A woman’s blood Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is injected into her ovaries. The PRP injection and punctures to the ovaries simultaneously stimulate growth of egg follicles. The ovaries are infused with proteins rich in growth factors and stem cell chemoattractants.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
Growth Factors derived from a woman’s blood platelets can regenerate ovarian tissue. By injecting PRP into a woman’s ovaries, new cellular growth can be generated to restore her fertility and hormonal function.
Candidates for Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
- Women who want to conceive with their own eggs in lieu of egg donation
- Women who want to restore their hormonal balance and sexual drive naturally
- Women having a low egg reserve as reflected by a low Anti Mullerian Hormone (AMH) level
- Women who have failed multiple IVF treatments due to poor quality embryos
- Women diagnosed with unexplained infertility
- Women diagnosed with primary ovarian failure
- Women diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure (POF)
- Women diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and suffering from infertility due to a low egg reserve
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy Procedure
- The patient’s ovaries are evaluated via a transvaginal sonogram to make sure they are accessible for procedure
- The patient’s blood is drawn to prepare her PRP
- It takes about 20 minutes to produce PRP by spinning the blood in a centrifuge
- The patient is prepared for procedure with the anesthesia Propofol via IV
- The patient’s ovaries are injected with PRP to rejuvenate dormant follicles so as to yield viable eggs
- The patient will be able to return home within 1 hour to 1½ after the procedure
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy Expertise
Your initial Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy consultation with Dr. Hugh D. Melnick can be conducted via telephone, Skype or FaceTime.
To schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Melnick at Advanced Fertility Services call 212.369.8700 – or – click the icon below.