Although there have been three Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy response patterns observed by Dr. Hugh Melnick – founder of Advanced Fertility Services in NYC – it is not possible to predict in advance which women will respond positively post-treatment.
Three Response Patterns
The Doctor cannot predict which women will respond positively to Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy. This is because the existence of stem cells in a woman’s ovaries cannot be documented.
First Pattern Response
In this group, women achieved the return of both menstruation and hormonal function. Platelet derived growth factors caused local stem cells to morph into both new egg cells and estrogen producing granulosa cells. Ovulation was restored along with the return of normal hormonal production that accompanies ovulation.
Second Pattern Response
In this group, women achieved the return of hormonal production, but without ovulation and menstruation. Only granulosa cells which are capable of producing estrogen and testosterone were formed. No new egg cells were created. These women regained their natural hormonal balance, with regression of their menopausal symptoms. In some cases, their sex drive was restored.
Third Pattern Response
This third group experienced neither return of menstruation, nor improvement in menopausal symptoms. There were no viable stem cells in the area of the PRP injection, so there was no response after treatment.
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy will not make a woman’s ovaries younger, but her remaining dormant egg follicles will be used to achieve the best chance of pregnancy success. Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy wakes up and coaxes a woman’s nonfunctioning ovaries into producing viable eggs so that she can get pregnant. If the procedure is successful, a woman can achieve a successful pregnancy naturally – or – through other fertility treatments such as IUI or IVF.
There can be no guarantee that pregnancy – or reduced menopausal symptoms – will occur after the procedure. This is because Ovarian Rejuvenation is an innovative therapy attempting to reverse natural menopause and positively enhance the quality of existing eggs remaining in the ovaries.
Dr. Melnick has successfully helped two women in their 40s achieve pregnancy. Both women had prior multiple failed IVF treatment cycles, yet they conceived between 8 and 20 weeks after their Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy.
Candidates for Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy is typically recommended to women in an advanced maternal age – late 30s and over 40.
- Women who want to conceive with their own eggs in lieu of egg donation
- Women who want to restore their hormonal balance and sexual drive naturally
- Women having a low egg reserve as reflected by a low Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH) level
- Women who have failed multiple IVF treatments due to poor quality embryos
- Women diagnosed with unexplained infertility
- Women diagnosed with primary ovarian failure
- Women diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure (POF)
- Women diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and suffering from infertility due to a low egg reserve
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy Procedure
This procedure is performed by injecting a woman’s Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) into her ovaries while she is under anesthesia. The PRP injection punctures the ovaries, injects the PRP, and stimulates growth of egg follicles. The ovaries are infused with proteins rich in growth factors and stem cell chemoattractants.
- The patient’s ovaries are evaluated via a transvaginal sonogram to make sure they are accessible for procedure
- The patient’s blood is drawn to prepare her PRP
- It takes about 20 minutes to produce PRP by spinning the blood in a centrifuge
- The patient is prepared for procedure with the anesthesia Propofol via IV
- The patient’s ovaries are injected with PRP to rejuvenate dormant follicles so as to yield viable eggs
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy Experience
Major complications from the procedure – bleeding or infection – are very rare. Dr. Melnick’s patient have not experienced complications to date.
- The patient will be able to return home within 1 hour to 1½ after the procedure
- The pain a patient experiences is very similar to that of an IVF egg retrieval procedure
- Ovarian discomfort is likely be experienced and will be treated with pain medication
- Mild discomfort in the patient’s lower abdomen
- Pressure in the patient’s ovaries
- Spotting of blood
In 99 percent of cases, most pain and discomfort is relieved within one to two hours after the patient returns home.
Fertility Doctor Specializing in Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
Your initial consultation with the Doctor can be conducted via telephone, Skype or FaceTime. To schedule your consultation with Dr. Melnick at Advanced Fertility Services – click the icon below – or call 212.369.8700.