According to Dr. Hugh Melnick – one of a handful of doctors specializing in ovarian rejuvenation therapy – this revolutionary procedure will not make a woman’s ovaries younger. However, her remaining dormant egg follicles can be revived for fertilization. If Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy is successful, the patient may be able to get pregnant naturally. If not, fertility treatments such as IUI or IVF can help the patient achieve a pregnancy.
Expected Results of Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy is an innovative medical procedure used to wake up and coax a woman’s nonfunctioning ovaries into producing viable eggs. Dr. Hugh Melnick has helped two women conceive naturally and achieve a live birth through Ovarian Rejuvenation. A third woman who conceived naturally unfortunately suffered a miscarriage early on in her pregnancy.
The therapeutic effect of Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy may take three to six months to be observed by the Doctor. Tissue transformation is not immediately obvious.
Beneficial results will be noticed between 2 to 4 weeks. Patients are monitored monthly for six months through blood tests to determine if the therapy was successful.
- Therapeutic effects last 5 to 7 months
- Periods will return to normal in 50 percent of cases
- Symptoms of menopause will lessen
- Increase in sexual drive
- Improved quality of eggs
A total of 42 women having undergone Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy were contacted for a follow-up interview by the Doctor.
- 21 women (50%) had resumed menstruation
- 9 women (21.4%) reported cyclic symptoms of menstruation without bleeding
- Decrease in hot flashes
- Increased vaginal lubrication
- Increase in sexual drive
- 8 women (19%) reported no menstruation and no improvement in menopausal symptoms
- 3 women conceived naturally (7% live birth rate)
- 1 woman suffered a miscarriage
Post procedure, patients are monitored monthly to determine if the Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy was successful.
- Anti Mullerian Hormone (AMH) level
- FSH level
- LH level
- Estradiol level
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy involves the injection of a woman’s blood platelets into her ovaries to overcome ovarian non-function due to aging – even post-menopause. This innovative therapy is typically offered to older women – or – is recommended after multiple failed IVF cycles due to a woman’s eggs producing poor quality embryos.
As a woman’s ovaries age, they are unable to produce the hormones that stimulate follicles to develop and make them reach a viable stage of development.
- A women is born with all the eggs – approximately one million – she will produce during her lifetime
- Each of her eggs is immature – not fully developed
- Each egg is contained in a follicle
- These follicles may not develop and will remain in a dormant stage even after menopause
- Women in their peak fertility years have a 20 percent chance of pregnancy every month
- A woman’s fertility level begins to decline after 30 and there is a precipitous drop after she turns 35
- Women over 40 only have about a 5 percent chance of getting pregnant during any given month
- About one percent of all women experience Premature Ovarian Failure (POF) when their ovaries stop functioning before they are 40
Candidates for Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
- Women who want to conceive with their own eggs in lieu of egg donation
- Women who want to restore their hormonal balance and sexual drive naturally
- Women having a low egg reserve as reflected by a low Anti Mullerian Hormone (AMH) level
- Women who have failed multiple IVF treatments due to poor quality embryos
- Women diagnosed with unexplained infertility
- Women diagnosed with primary ovarian failure
- Women diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure (POF)
- Women diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and suffering from infertility due to a low egg reserve
Fertility Doctor Providing Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
Your initial consultation with the Doctor can be conducted via telephone, Skype or FaceTime.
To schedule your Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy consultation with Dr. Melnick at Advanced Fertility Services call 212.369.8700 – or – click the icon below.