Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy is an innovative fertility procedure used to wake up and coax a woman’s nonfunctioning ovaries into producing viable eggs. Dr. Hugh Melnick – founder of Advanced Fertility Services in NYC – is one of the very few fertility doctors offering ovarian rejuvenation therapy.
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy involves the injection of a woman’s blood platelets into her ovaries to overcome ovarian non-function due to aging – even post-menopause. This innovative therapy is typically offered to older women – or – is recommended after multiple failed IVF cycles because the woman’s eggs produced poor quality embryos.
Fertility Options After Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
According to Dr. Melnick, Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy will not make a woman’s ovaries younger, but her remaining dormant egg follicles can be used to achieve the best chance of pregnancy success.
If Ovarian Rejuvenation is successful, the patient may be able to get pregnant naturally.
As a woman’s ovaries age, they are unable to produce the hormones that stimulate follicles to develop and make them reach a viable stage of development.
- A women is born with all the eggs – approximately one million – she will produce during her lifetime
- Each of her eggs is immature – not fully developed
- Each egg is contained in a follicle
- These follicles may not develop and will remain in a dormant stage even after menopause
- Women in their peak fertility years have a 20 percent chance of pregnancy every month
- A woman’s fertility level begins to decline after 30 and there is a precipitous drop after she turns 35
- Women over 40 only have about a 5 percent chance of getting pregnant during any given month
- About one percent of all women experience Premature Ovarian Failure (POF) when their ovaries stop functioning before they are 40
Candidates for Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
- Women who want to conceive with their own eggs in lieu of egg donation
- Women who want to restore their hormonal balance and sexual drive naturally
- Women having a low egg reserve as reflected by a low Anti Mullerian Hormone (AMH) level
- Women who have failed multiple IVF treatments due to poor quality embryos
- Women diagnosed with unexplained infertility
- Women diagnosed with primary ovarian failure
- Women diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure (POF)
- Women diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and suffering from infertility due to a low egg reserve
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy Procedure
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy is an outpatient procedure performed by injecting a woman’s Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) into her ovaries while she is under anesthesia. The PRP injection and punctures to the ovaries simultaneously stimulate growth of egg follicles. The ovaries are infused with proteins rich in growth factors and stem cell chemoattractants.
- The patient’s ovaries are evaluated via a transvaginal sonogram to make sure they are accessible for procedure
- The patient’s blood is drawn to prepare her PRP
- It takes about 20 minutes to produce PRP by spinning the blood in a centrifuge
- The patient is prepared for procedure with the anesthesia Propofol via IV
- The patient’s ovaries are injected with PRP to rejuvenate dormant follicles so as to yield viable eggs
- The patient will be able to return home within 1 hour to 1½ after the procedure
Cost of Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
- $350 initial evaluation cost with Dr. Melnick via telephone, Skype, or FaceTime
- $4000 fee for the Ovarian Rejuvenation procedure
- Ovarian Rejuvenation is not covered by insurance
$4000 Fee Includes:
- Operating room fees
- Anesthesia medication cost
- Anesthesiologist’s fee
- Nursing service fee
- Sonographic cost
- Physician services fee
- Laboratory cost to prepare Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
Ovarian Rejuvenation Effects and Facts
- Therapeutic effects last 5 to 7 months
- Periods will return to normal
- Symptoms of menopause will lessen
- Increase in sexual drive
- Improved quality of eggs
Post procedure, patients are monitored monthly to determine if the Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy was successful.
- Anti Mullerian Hormone (AMH) level
- FSH level
- LH level
- Estradiol level
Platelet Rich Plasma therapy is used in other areas of medicine:
- Healing of athletic injuries
- Plastic surgery procedures
- Injection in vaginal area for women with low sex drive
Fertility Doctor Providing Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
Your initial consultation with the Doctor can be conducted via telephone, Skype or FaceTime.
To schedule your Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy consultation with Dr. Melnick at Advanced Fertility Services call 212.369.8700 – or – click the icon below.