During the month of September, Dr. Hugh Melnick avidly promotes Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Awareness to his patients and the public. PCOS is a leading cause of female infertility because it is a serious reproductive disorder affecting teenage girls as well as women in their prime reproductive years. This awareness movement offers supportive resources, information, and PCOS events.
PCOS is a condition causing up to 20 percent of women in America to be infertile due to cysts growing on the ovaries. This occurs when a women generate excessive androgens – male hormones. Because they don’t know the signs and symptoms, most women don’t suspect PCOS is the cause of their inability to get pregnant.
Signs and Symptoms of PCOS
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Pelvic pain
- Excess hair growth on the face, chest, stomach, thighs
- Weight gain
- Acne and oily skin
- Patches of thickened skin
Complications of PCOS can include:
- Gestational diabetes or pregnancy-induced high blood pressure
- Miscarriage or premature birth
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis — a severe liver inflammation caused by fat accumulation in the liver
- Metabolic syndrome — a cluster of conditions including high blood pressure, high blood sugar, and abnormal cholesterol or triglyceride levels that significantly increase your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Type 2 diabetes or prediabetes
- Sleep apnea
- Depression, anxiety and eating disorders
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Cancer of the uterine lining (endometrial cancer)
Ovulation Problems Due to PCOS
- No ovulation (anovulation)
- Infrequent or irregular ovulation
Menstrual Cycle Problems Due to PCOS
Irregular menstrual cycles occur when a woman does not ovulate regularly
- No periods at all
- Infrequent periods
- Periods that occur too frequently
- Heavy periods lasting for many days/weeks
- Bleeding/Spotting occurring between apparently normal cycles
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy is an innovative treatment that can wake up and coax a woman’s nonfunctioning ovaries into producing eggs. Her remaining dormant egg follicles can then have a chance to be fertilized. If the procedure is successful, a woman can achieve a successful pregnancy naturally – or – through other fertility treatments such as IUI or IVF.
Candidates for Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy is typically recommended to women in an advanced maternal age – late 30s and over 40.
- Women who want to conceive with their own eggs in lieu of egg donation
- Women who want to restore their hormonal balance and sexual drive naturally
- Women having a low egg reserve as reflected by a low Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH) level
- Women who have failed multiple IVF treatments due to poor quality embryos
- Women diagnosed with unexplained infertility
- Women diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure (POF)
- Women diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and suffering from infertility due to a low egg reserve
How to Know if You’re a Candidate
Your initial consultation to find out if you are a candidate for Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy can be conducted with the Doctor via telephone, Skype or FaceTime.
- Print your intake form by clicking here
- Print your information and consent form by clicking here
- Complete, scan and email these forms to email@example.com.
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy Procedure
This procedure is performed by injecting a woman’s Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) into her ovaries while she is under anesthesia. The PRP injection punctures the ovaries, injects the PRP, and stimulates growth of egg follicles. The ovaries are infused with proteins rich in growth factors and stem cell chemoattractants.
- The patient’s ovaries are evaluated via a transvaginal sonogram to make sure they are accessible for procedure
- The patient’s blood is drawn to prepare her PRP
- It takes about 20 minutes to produce PRP by spinning the blood in a centrifuge
- The patient is prepared for procedure with the anesthesia Propofol via IV
- The patient’s ovaries are injected with PRP to rejuvenate dormant follicles so as to yield viable eggs
Post-Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
Patients are monitored monthly for six months through blood tests to determine if the therapy was successful.
- Therapeutic effects last 5 to 7 months
- Periods will return to normal in 50 percent of cases
- Symptoms of menopause will lessen
- Increase in sexual drive
- Improved quality of eggs
Fertility Doctor Specializing in Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
Dr. Melnick has successfully helped two women in their 40s achieve pregnancy. Both women had prior multiple failed IVF treatment cycles, yet they conceived between 8 and 20 weeks after their Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy.
Dr. Hugh Melnick is one of very few fertility doctors specializing in Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy.
Your initial consultation with the Doctor can be conducted via telephone, Skype or FaceTime.
To schedule your consultation with Dr. Melnick at Advanced Fertility Services – click the icon below – or call 212.369.8700.