A woman’s fixed ovarian reserve is not replenished by the natural growth of new eggs during her lifetime. Every woman is born with a determinate number of eggs in her ovaries. As a woman ages into her mid- to late 30s, the genetic quality of her eggs declines precipitously.
Lifetime Egg Reserve
Female age is a very important consideration when estimating the probability for conception. This is because a woman’s age is a strong determinate of egg quality. A woman’s egg supply is not replenished by the spontaneous growth of new follicles during her reproductive lifetime.
- A 45-year old woman can have good egg quality – although this is rare
- A 25-year old woman can have very poor egg quality and be infertile as a result
A woman’s egg quantity and quality can be:
- Average for her age
- Better than average
- Worse than average
Ovarian Reserve Testing
A woman’s ovarian reserve determines the capacity of her ovary to provide egg cells that are capable of fertilization resulting in a healthy and successful pregnancy. A woman’s supply of quality eggs will be used up somewhere between 25 and 55 years of age.
These techniques test the supply (reserve or quantity) of eggs remaining a woman’s ovaries.
- Antral Follicle Count Test
- Day 3 FSH and E2 Test
- Clomiphene Challenge Test
- AMH Test
Effect of Aging on Female Fertility
As a woman ages, her ovaries are unable to produce the hormones that stimulate egg follicles to develop and make them reach a viable stage of development. There is a profound effect of age on the genetic quality of a woman’s egg supply. Poor genetic quality of eggs results in infertility, even when there are many eggs remaining in a woman’s ovarian reserve.
Results of Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy is an innovative Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) procedure used to wake up and coax a woman’s nonfunctioning ovaries into producing viable eggs. Dr. Hugh Melnick has helped two women conceive naturally and achieve a live birth through Ovarian Rejuvenation. A third woman who conceived naturally unfortunately suffered a miscarriage early on in her pregnancy.
The therapeutic effect of Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy may take three to six months to be observed by the Doctor. Tissue transformation is not immediately obvious. Beneficial results will be noticed between 2 to 4 weeks.
Patients are monitored monthly for six months through blood tests to determine if the therapy was successful.
- Therapeutic effects last 5 to 7 months
- Periods will return to normal in 50 percent of cases
- Symptoms of menopause will lessen
- Increase in sexual drive
- Improved quality of eggs
A total of 42 women having undergone Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy were contacted for a follow-up interview by the Doctor.
- 21 women (50%) had resumed menstruation
- 9 women (21.4%) reported cyclic symptoms of menstruation without bleeding
- Decrease in hot flashes
- Increased vaginal lubrication
- Increase in sexual drive
- 8 women (19%) reported no menstruation and no improvement in menopausal symptoms
- 3 women conceived naturally (7% live birth rate)
- 1 woman suffered a miscarriage
Renowned Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy Doctor
- Pioneering doctor of preserving a woman’s future fertility through the world class Oocyte Preservation Program
- Renowned publisher of numerous scientific research articles in prominent medical journals and medical textbook contributions
- Acclaimed author of The Pregnancy Prescription – a prestigious book written for those coping with the challenges of infertility, including information on how best to overcome infertility
Read the Doctor’s contribution to the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology about subclinical hypothyroidism and its effect on a woman’s fertility.
Are You a Candidate?
Prospective candidates for Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy are:
- Women who want to conceive with their own eggs in lieu of egg donation
- Women who want to restore their hormonal balance and sexual drive naturally
- Women having a low egg reserve as reflected by a low Anti Mullerian Hormone (AMH) level
- Women who have failed multiple IVF treatments due to poor quality embryos
- Women diagnosed with unexplained infertility
- Women diagnosed with primary ovarian failure
- Women diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure (POF)
- Women diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and suffering from infertility due to a low egg reserve
Your initial consultation to find out if you are a candidate for Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy can be conducted with the Doctor via telephone, Skype or FaceTime.
- Print your intake form by clicking here
- Print your information and consent form by clicking here
- Complete, scan and email these forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More About Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
It is important to work with a fertility specialist who has the clinical experience to design an infertility treatment plan meeting your personal needs.
To read more about Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy, check out the Doctor’s Blog here.
Schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Hugh Melnick at Advanced Fertility Services by calling 212.369.8700 – or – clicking the icon below.